The attribute sets and attributes for the above class are described below. Minor edits which enhance the current definitions should be made directly to the text. Major changes or revisions which change the attribute words should follow the directions at the bottom of this page under Proposed Changes.
Multiple choice. Any writing over 50 years old should be recorded as Historic rather than Vandalism. Examples for Vandalism.Graffiti Writing
- A date written in any form.
- Initials of a person's name or organization.
- Names of people.
- Names of organizations such as CCC, military units.
- Names of cities, states, countries.
- Poems, slogans, cursing, etc.
Multiple choice. Drawings include modern symbols as well as fake prehistoric rock art. Examples for Vandalism.Graffiti Drawing
- Any human form, including hand prints or footprints.
- Any plant or flower.
- Gang Sign
- Any gang symbol, stylized words or letters should be recorded as Writing.
- Any geometric symbol not fitting a more specific definition.
- Any heart symbol. If initials are included, record both here and under Writing.
- Peace Symbol
- The peace symbol common to the late 1960's.
- Smiley Face
- The "Have a happy day" symbol from the early 1960's.
- Any animal form.
- Any drawing not fitting one of the above classifications.
Multiple choice. This includes vandalism not fitting either of the above methods and also helps to describe the medium used. Examples for Vandalism.Vandalism
- The rock was broken.
- Chisel Marks
- The chisel marks made while attempting to steal a panel.
- Chalking of petroglyphs to make them more visible.
- The rock has bullet holes.
- Crayon, felt tip pen, pencil, or any other mechanical marking device.
- Paint, either applied with a brush or from a spray can.
- Peck marks made with any kind of tool or method.
- Any form of scratching including abrading.
- Any other form not included above.
Single choice. If the element is or includes a date the include a year, select a date range. Elements with dates before 1950 should be recorded as historic. Examples for Vandalism.Date Range
- 1950 through 1959.
- 1960 through 1969.
- 1970 through 1979.
- 1980 through 1989.
- 1990 through 1999.
- 2000 through 2009.
- 2010 through 2019.
If you have suggestions which add, delete, combine attributes or change the word used to define an attribute, then please copy the entire current attribute set definition above, including the attribute set heading to the end of this page and edit your copy. If you wish to make a comment below your improved version (or someone else's improved version), add a horizontal rule and then your comment.
Minor changes in agreement with the someone's proposed changes should be made directly to the text, competing versions should be documented as complete revised copies including the heading.
To add a new attribute set, create it exactly as it should appear. For suggestions on sequence changes, create an appropriate heading below and add a comment. For other types of changes, innovate.
All documentation should be written for the target audience of volunteer rock art recorders.